Please give us a call and we will visit your home and give you an estimate on performing the following services as needed…
- Remove any debris or leaves from plantings
- Address winter damage & remove dead wood from plantings
- Edge & cultivate planting beds, repair edging as needed
- Fertilize both evergreen & deciduous plants
- Apply pre-emergent weed control to beds
- Apply new layer of mulch if necessary
- Rake lawn areas as needed
- Replace any dead plants
- Cut back any perennials not trimmed in Fall
Spring is an excellent time for new landscapes. The best selection of plant material is usually available at this time. Another benefit of spring planting, is that you have the rest of the summer to enjoy your finished project. As a reminder, spring jobs book up very quickly. If you want your job to be completed as soon as weather permits in the Spring, it is best to meet with designers as early as possible!
After the last hard frost – usually after Memorial Day in our area!
Replace broken concrete parking bumpers with more economical recycled rubber parking curbs.
Woodstream recommends that you trim the majority of your plants after the 4th of July. Most plants have completed their seasonal growth & that growth has had time to mature. There are certain plants that should NOT be trimmed at this time, such as those that flower later in the season (for example: Rose of Sharon and Potentilla). Our experienced crews have the proper equipment and expertise to do the job right. Please call for an estimate!
- Insect Control as necessary
- Cultivate and Edge beds: This keeps your landscape looking fresh and new. As always weed control is important!
- Watering: Very important to keep plants and lawns watered, especially new plantings. You cannot always rely on mother nature!
- Fertilize: Plantings & lawns in late summer
The proper sealing application conditions are very important – it must be a dry & clear day otherwise the sealer can become murky. Sealer not only gives a shiny/wet appearance, it also helps to keep weeds at bay. Woodstream usually takes 2 days to do the complete job. Day one is the cleanup & stain removal using a power washer & spot treatments. Power washing removes much of the seaming sand, which is then reapplied. Day 2 is the sealer application. The surface must be completely dry before applying! Please stay off treated area for at least 24 hours.
Call today for an estimate!
Summer is still an excellent time to plant! Extra care must be taken transporting & watering of plant material.
Fall is for planting! Autumn’s cooler temperatures and increased rain provide excellent growing conditions for new plants and encourage growth of the root system. Since most plants are beginning to enter their dormant periods, the roots do not have to compete with the rest of the plant for food and energy. Fall planting provides a head start on next spring’s growth and will result in more flowers and foliage early in the season.
- Plant: Fall Mums, Spring flowering bulbs, or entire landscapes!
- Work fertilizer or organic matter into the soil before the ground freezes.
- Pruning in the fall will create healthier spring trees, shrubs and perennials.
- Remove annuals after 1st frost
- Plan your winter animal & rodent deterrent. See winter tips!
- Continue watering as needed!
Animal & rodent deterrent: Help protect tender plants from nibbling & chewing deer, rabbits and mice.
This winter, deer will cause millions of dollars in landscape damage.. damage that can be prevented! Woodstream provides a winter repellent application upon your request. The application does not need to be reapplied in the snow and ice of winter, unlike other deer sprays that last only a few weeks. It gives the plants an undesirable taste so animals go elsewhere for a food source. Please call us and we will visit & review your home and then send you an estimate. We apply in mid to late November after most leaves have dropped from the plants. While the deterrent is an excellent product, it is not guaranteed.
Another option is deer netting to fence the critters out. Fencing must be 8 feet high to keep deer out, & must be firmly attached to the ground to keep rabbits out.
Provide mulch to plantings. Mulch helps keep soil warmer when the temperature drops, and it also makes it easier for soils to retain moisture.
Plan for next Spring: Winter in WNY is more a time of planning rather than planting in our area. Now is the perfect time to relax & dream of how a landscape project can complete your home. A twisting path leading to a secret garden or maybe an outdoor kitchen area. Or how about a fire-pit where you and the kids can hang out and toast marshmallows? Do you have dreams of a relaxing area where the sounds of water can lull all your troubles away? Call on our designers to turn your dreams into reality!
Planning a Perennial Garden:
Step 1: Choose a location
Step 2: Assess the location (light, soil)
Step 3: Pick your Style (formal, informal)
Step 4: Who will use?
- Special Use (cuttings, fragrance)
- Likes & dislikes, how much maint.
- Favorite color scheme…
Step 5: Design (size,& shape – take notes)
Step 6: Next Spring prepare the bed & plant!